“The free market only works well when companies compete with each other. Knowing they may be held accountable if they cheat is a powerful incentive to obey the law.”
"One of the nation's premier plaintiffs' firms."
"Representing the best qualities of the plaintiffs' bar."
The National Law Journal
"Their effective and caring advocacy for clients has earned Lieff Cabraser its first-class reputation."
The Daily Journal
A Leader In The Plaintiffs’ Bar
Bill has practiced law for more than three decades. Who’s Who Legal called him,
Notable cases Bill has litigated include price-fixing suits against pharmaceutical companies on behalf of retail pharmacies, consumer claims against the world’s largest vitamin manufacturers for crafting a global “vitamins cartel,” and charges against natural gas and energy companies for manipulating the price of natural gas and electricity in California during the California energy crisis of 2000-2001. These cases, in total, resulted in over $1.3 billion in settlements for consumers and businesses.
Bill also oversaw negotiations in the landmark settlement and injunction against De Beers for monopolizing the trade of rough diamonds in the U.S. for nearly 60 years. As featured in the 2008 Plaintiffs Hot List, The National Law Journal wrote,
“The plaintiffs’ firms’ pluck, and some luck, resulted in a $295 million settlement for De Beers’ customers [and] secured De Beers’ pledge to abide by federal and state antitrust laws and accept court oversight to ensure compliance.”
Bill teaches settlement law as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of San Francisco. Bill has been repeatedly recognized as a "Northern California Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine.
Awards & Honors
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, based on peer and blue ribbon panel review, selected for list of "San Francisco's Best Lawyers," 2013
- "California Litigation Star," Benchmark Plaintiff (ranked as one of California's leading litigators in antitrust law)
- Northern California Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers, 2004-2012
- "Top Attorneys In Antitrust Law," Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010, 2012
- "Lawdragon Finalist," Lawdragon, 2009-2011
- Princeton Premier Registry, Business Leaders and Professionals, 2008-2009
- "Top 100 Trial Lawyers in California," American Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Who's Who Legal, 2007
- Unsung Hero Award, Appleseed, 2006
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of San Francisco, Settlement Law, 2006-present
- Judge Pro Tem for San Francisco Superior Court, 2000-present
- Marin Municipal Court, 1984
- Discovery Referee for the Marin Superior Court, 1984-89
- Arbitrator for the Superior Court of Marin, 1984-1990
Publications & Presentations
- "The Rise and Fall of Enron's One-To-Many Trading Platform," American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section, Annual Spring Meeting (2005)
- Co-Author with Donald C. Arbitblit, "Effective Use of Class Action Procedures in California Toxic Tort Litigation," Hastings West-Northwest Journal of Environmental and Toxic Torts Law and Policy, No. 3 (Spring 1996)